Admit it, you’ve done this: spent hours with pals debating the ultimate list of the funniest movies ever made. Now, here’s a statistical solution – nearly, sort of: the Laugh a Minute rating.
Topping the Laugh A Minute list is unquestionably an accomplishment. Additionally, do not address it as Shirley.
It comes from Lovefilm, a video streaming and DVD subscription service situated in London. Lovefilm surveyed its members to determine the ten films that made them laugh the most. The business then gathered a panel to watch the films and note “how many times [each film] made us laugh,” according to spokesperson Helen Cowley. Calculate the Laugh a Minute score by multiplying the number of chuckles by the film’s duration in minutes.
Even if the results are not universal – the panel members were paid by the corporation – the approaches are unquestionably more scientifically rigorous than hanging out with friends over drinks at 11:30 p.m.
Without further ado, please take the envelope.
The 1980 aviation disaster parody Airplane! tops the list with three chuckles per minute, followed by the original Hangover and Naked Gun films with 2.4 and 2.3 laughs per minute, respectively.
The whole Top 10 is as follows:
1. Airplane! – 3 minutes of laughter
2. The Hangover – 2.4 minutes of laughter
3. Naked Gun: From Police Squad’s Files! – 2.3 chuckles per minute
4. Superbad – 1.9 minutes of laughter
5. Borat – 1.7 minutes of laughter
6. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – 1.6 seconds of laughter
7. American Pie – 1.5 minutes of laughter
8. Bridesmaids – 1.4 minutes of laughter
9. Shaun of the Dead – 1.3 minutes of laughter
10. Life of Brian – 1.2 minutes of laughter